The Student News Site of Rice Memorial High School

The Knight's Banner

The Knight's Banner

The Knight's Banner

Moving On
February 6, 2024
Bessette dunking at Patrick Gym during a game against Brattleboro. (Photo/Drew Bessette)
Bessette Commits to UVM
December 10, 2023

Drama Club Begins Journey Into The Woods

Prospective “Into the Woods” cast members at Thursday’s informational session. (Photo/Moorea Lambert)

On Thursday, December 7, approximately two dozen eager Rice students met in the music room to learn about the upcoming production of Into The Woods. The enthusiasm was palpable.

“I am very excited for auditions,” said senior and veteran actor Connor Trombly. “The main reason why I’m excited about doing it is because it can highlight so many people’s talents because it has such a big cast.”

Newcomers to the Drama Department are equally enthused.

“I’m feeling really good [about auditions],” says freshman Kizzie Carpenter. “I get to work with my friends, and I’m pretty sure it’s going to be really fun.”

Although he welcomes and encourages the enthusiasm, Music Director Kevin Ginter notes that the show is a challenging one.

“It can often be underestimated,” warns Ginter.

To avoid being overwhelmed, Ginter encourages auditionees to come prepared.

“Practice and prepare because there’s a lot of roles in this show, a lot of good sized roles that could go to lots of different people. The more people come prepared, the better.”

The work associated with the musical is not diminishing Ginter’s anticipation for both auditions and the beginning of rehearsals.

“I’m excited for doing a show of this length that is kind of complex musically but also has some really deep characters that can really be developed really well,” he explains.

When asked what he would say to those who are on the fence about auditioning, Ginter was adamant.

“To a person like that, I would say if you don’t do it you’ll be missing out. Anybody who is involved with a show, they never really regret it based on the friendships and experiences you have with people that you are forced to work with very closely for such a long period of time and create something that’s really special,” Ginter said. “Even if you don’t get your top choice of role, I think there’s a lot more to the experience of being in a show than that.”

“Just do it!” echoes junior Miriam Callan.

Auditions for Into The Woods will take place on December, 14 at 2:45-5:30 in the music room.