The Student News Site of Rice Memorial High School

The Knight's Banner

The Knight's Banner

The Knight's Banner

Here We Go, Rice: Rice Revives Cheer

Rice’s cheer team on their media day. (photo/ Amanda Martin)

This year marks the first time in almost 60 years that Rice has had a cheer team. When Amanda Martin joined Rice’s staff she was approached by some students with the idea of possibly coaching a dance team.

“I had no experience in that but have about eight seasons of Varsity/JV cheer,” said Martin. “A few other students approached me and wanted to know if I would cheer as they needed a sponsor.”

The cheer team on their media day. (photo/ Amanda Martin)

In 1965 Rice decided to shut down their cheer program. The last remaining remnants of the old cheer team live in a case in the Rice Science Wing; however some members of the old cheer team still go to Rice games.

The last remnants of the old cheer team in the Science Wing. (photo/Logan Forcier)

During the 2023-24 basketball season, the cheer team has begun to go to the majority of basketball games.

“I think it is very good to have the cheer to support other sports,” said cheer Captain Ella Wright “It’s important to support your school community.”

She is not the only one that feels this way.

“I think the new cheer team is a great way to encourage school spirit at games and to show support to the Rice community,” said member of the team Fiona Gong. “It is a great way for students of different grades to unite and show support.”

The Rice cheer team with their coach Amanda Martin. (Photo/ Amanda Martin)

However, Rice already had a group like that: Drumline. They have been expressing their school spirit since they were first created.

“Drumline is the heartbeat of the school!” said Martin, “We work with them to support the positive school spirit they have established.”

Though the cheer team can make it to more games than the Drumline can go to, when they are both at the games the energy is incredible.

The members of the cheer team are not the only ones glad that Martin has revived the program.

“It’s always nice to have fan support,” said sophomore Bella Messino. “The cheerleaders added another layer to that by showing up and supporting us win or lose.”

Rice students at a Varsity Boy Basketball game against St. Johnsbury. (Photo/ Stacy Bessette)

Students and parents alike have begun to look forward to the cheer team.

“The Rice cheerleaders are bringing back a legacy of supporting the sports teams,” said Rice parent, Bob Dye. “ [They are] bringing spirit to the games.”

The majority of people are very supportive of the cheerleaders, the first year has not been without challenges

“People are still getting used to us being at games, and that is confusing for some people. This year, it has been about launching the program,” said Martin. “We are always recruiting for talent. No experience necessary!”

The cheer team is still growing and finding its place again in the Rice family; however, it looks like it is here to stay.