The Student News Site of Rice Memorial High School

The Knight's Banner

The Knight's Banner

The Knight's Banner

Moving On
February 6, 2024
Bessette dunking at Patrick Gym during a game against Brattleboro. (Photo/Drew Bessette)
Bessette Commits to UVM
December 10, 2023

Fall Pep Rally 2023 Picks

Students racing to grab the balls in dodgeball at the Spring 2023 Pep Rally. (Photo/Steffen Parker)

Here we are, another Spirit Week, which means another Pep Rally. JRob and Messi are back to submit our picks for who will walk away as winners from this event. Just like last year, we make these picks in sport, but also we take our craft seriously. Now, let’s see this season’s lineups for events and participants.

Participants may be subject to change before the Pep Rally.

Musical Chairs

The Participants:
Freshman
Xavier Fuller, JP Novak, Bella Walsh, Alexis Menard-O’Neil
Sophomores
Holden Molvey, Joe Alexander, Josie Chauvin, Whitney Williams
Juniors
Danika Giri, Addie Bryan, Alby Toto, Shamarke Hassan
Seniors
Joseph “JRob” Rob, Raven McCray Fay, Sophie Roberts
Faculty
Mathieu Bergeron

JRob’s Pick:
Shamarke Hassan
Shamarke is a natural-born athlete. His agility, finesse, and pure speed are evident on the soccer field. I feel this will translate phenomenally into musical chairs, making him an unstoppable force on the gym floor tomorrow. However, he does have some tough competition, so it’ll be crucial that he keeps his cool when opponents start talking smack.

Messi’s Pick:
JRob
This is quite the crew we have competing for the crown here. Top to bottom, the talent pool is very competitive. However, I know one person who takes Pep Rallies just as seriously as I do; and that is the man making picks with me, Joseph “JRob” Rob. JRob is a veteran in Pep Rallies, and if you have seen him play hockey you know he is not afraid to throw his body around to win. I’m expecting JRob to take a seat from someone with the same vigor with which he checks a skater into the boards. JRob will walk away with a win in musical chairs this Thursday.

Pie-Eating Contest

The Participants:
Freshmen
Evan Welcome
Sophomores
Peter Harris
Juniors
Dallas St. Peter
Seniors
Nathan McDonald
Faculty
Shanna Barnicle

JRob’s Pick:
Nathan McDonald
“With the first pick overall, Nathan McDonald…” Nobody stands a chance against McDonald. A three-and-a-half sport varsity athlete, McDonald plays: soccer, hockey, tennis, and a little bit of baseball. His commitment and drive are evident, which I feel will give him the upper hand in tomorrow’s competition. Also, go VOTE for Nate for Burlington Free Press Athlete of the Week.

Messi’s Pick:
Dallas St. Peter
First of all, I want to say I am very impressed with the lineup here. I know from football team dinners that three of these contestants do not take eating lightly. Dallas has my pick here due in part to those experiences. I watched him eat the Green Knight at Handy’s Lunch one morning, and it may be the most impressive feat I have ever seen. I know Dallas is ready to get eating, and I expect him to walk away with the win.

Dodgeball

The Teams:
Freshmen
Peyton Albertson, Jack Webb, Lucy Poso, Vincent Lanzetta, Megan Marroquin, Anna Tanis
Sophomores
Seamus O’Neil, Oliver Quong, Griffin Seitz, Kenzie Ribera, Alayna Havreluk, Lindsey Nagle
Juniors
Evan Eaton, Brenden Patterson, Owen Eaton, Becky Penney, Finnley Strong, Megan Goldsmith
Seniors
Jaques Meli, Kelli Cieplicki, Gabby Sneddon, Sunshine Clark, Derek Wenner, Wyatt Wolpert
Faculty
Kevin Cook, Kevin Giron, Andrew Nagy

JRob’s Pick:
Seniors
I am biased. I know the seniors are going to win. Backed by multiple pep rally victories in years past and an absolutely dominant performance in this week’s spirit week, I have the utmost confidence in the senior class to walk away with the win. Let’s start with the power. Wyatt Wolpert and Derek Wenner are going to cause some serious damage tomorrow. Both of them can throw baseballs mach-10 with high precision accuracy. To protect them, we have Sunshine Clark. Clark is an amazing athlete who has led the girls’ soccer team to multiple state championships as their starting goalie. She’s not going to drop anything, so Wolpert and Wenner can focus on eliminating At the center of the team are Gabby Sneddon and Kelli Cieplicki. These two have some serious drive and competitiveness that’ll take the senior class to the next level. Then we have Jacques Meli, force on the football and lacrosse fields. JQ is unstoppable; he will help carry this stacked dodgeball team to an overwhelming victory.

Messi’s Pick:
Sophomores
Now, this may be controversial, but I am taking the sophomores here. I think that they have a very well-rounded roster, and while I usually believe experience to be king in Pep Rally events, part of me feels that the underclassmen will make a splash this year. I also love the idea of a bit of an underdog story, and I think the sophomore team has the talent to make some noise. I believe that the sophomores will walk away on Thursday with a Dodgeball victory.

This brings us to the end of the Pep Rally picks for our Fall Pep Rally 2023. If you are interested in writing for the paper, reach out to one of us, Hannah Cunningham, Giles Heilman, or Mr. Matarazzo. Roll Knights.

View Comments (1)