The Student News Site of Rice Memorial High School

The Knight's Banner

The Knight's Banner

The Knight's Banner

For the Love of Books

Rising Rice Memorial High School junior Logan Forcier was recently accepted into the Green Mountain Book Award (GMBA) Committee.

Each year the GMBA choses 15 Young Adult books to add to their list of recommendations. These titles are chosen by teens and adults around Vermont and are supported by the Department of Libraries.

“Logan Forcier was one of only two students statewide to be selected to be a part of the Green Mountain Book Award committee for the upcoming school year,” librarian Allison Croce wrote. “We are so proud of Logan as she represents our school and our library! She will help influence reading culture across the state by writing book reviews and voting for book finalists for a state-wide reading program. Congratulations on this accomplishment!”

“When I heard that, they were looking for a student to participate,” English teacher TJ Bird Matarazzo said when asked why he recommended Forcier. “Logan was the first student who popped in my head because I know she’s a voracious reader and loves talking about books.”

TKB: “What is the Green Mountain Book Award?”

LF: “The Green Mountain Book Award is basically a group of people that come together and read books that are sent to them by the authors and figure out whether they like them or not, and whether Vermont teens should be reading them.”

TKB: “How did you first hear about the Green Mountain Book Award?”

LF: “Miss Croce told me about it after I was recommended to the program by Mr. Matarazzo. Okay, and for Mr. Matarazzo”

TKB: “What was the application process like?”

LF: “It was very quick and easy. I put together a resume, and I sent some book reviews that I had already written.”

TKB: “Why did you apply?”

LF: “I thought it was a shot in the dark, but I really love reading and I wanted to see where this could lead me in my reading journey.”

TKB: “How excited were you to find out about your application status?”

LF: “I was very excited because I realized it would give me more time to read books and more time to enjoy them. And it would also give me a group of people that I could share my love of reading and my opinions with.”

TKB: “What will your role be/what does the position entail?”

Logan: “I am one of the committee members which basically means I will go through and read books and then give my opinions on them and create the reviews.”

Green Mountain Book Award logo. (Image/Green Mountain Book Award)

Congratulations to Logan!