The Student News Site of Rice Memorial High School

The Knight's Banner

The Knight's Banner

The Knight's Banner

Moving On
February 6, 2024
Bessette dunking at Patrick Gym during a game against Brattleboro. (Photo/Drew Bessette)
Bessette Commits to UVM
December 10, 2023

Rice Alum Returns to Share Lessons on Resilience

Students who earned copies of Scipione’s book smiled with the author following her presentation (Photo/Moorea Lambert)

On January 25, students gathered in the gym to listen to Rice Alumna Mandy Scipione share advice on how to manage stress and anxiety. The event was part of an ongoing effort by Rice to bring in a variety of outside speakers. Scipione’s presentation was well received.

“I thought she did a very good job of communicating with people our age,” said sophomore Logan Forcier.

“I liked her energy,” agreed senior Sunshine Clark.

The three main points of Scipione’s presentation were “Pivot”, “Giving Up Control”, and “The Gift of Creativity”. Each one was explained through deeply personal stories from Scipione’s life. The message of “Giving Up Control” resonated strongly with sophomore Forcier.

“I tend to be very ‘everything needs to be perfect’ and just hearing her story and realizing that it doesn’t was really helpful,” said the sophomore.

Other aspects of the presentation included concrete suggestions of how to cope with anxiety and difficult life situations. Senior Caroline Kittel appreciated the ideas and plans to implement some into her own life.

“I think I was kind of already doing the strategies because my life pivots all the time, but maybe every once in a while I’ll join something that I’m not already a part of. Maybe I’ll spread my wings a little bit,” said Kittel.

“Maybe I’ll write a short story,” added Clark.

Logan Forcier with her autographed copy of Scipione’s book shortly after the presentation
(Photo/Moorea Lambert)

Though Scipione’s message was powerful, ultimately the books offered as rewards for audience participation served as the most captivating element of the presentation to students.

“She gave us incentive to participate, which is what we need,” said Forcier.

Scipione distributing books to participants in the audience (Photo/Megan Shrestha)

“My favorite part was definitely when she gave out books, and one of my friends was able to participate,” said Clark.

“She gave out books! I loved that part,” Kittel agreed.