Rice Brainiacs Take 3rd Place at the Vermont Brain Bee

Rice students participate in the Vermont Brain Bee on Feb. 11, 2023, at the University of Vermont in Burlington, VT. From left to right: Emilie Buttolph, Anna Marsella and Keira Underwood. (Photo/Sharon Boardman)

Addy Eldred, Staff Writer

The Rice Memorial High School Neuroscience Club and their advisor, Sharon Boardman, participated in the 14th annual Vermont Brain Bee at the University of Vermont on Saturday, February 11, 2023. Rice took 3rd place as a result of the representation of Emilie Buttolph, Anna Marsella, and Keira Underwood.

In total, 27 students from six schools participated. Students took part in a written quiz, a practical quiz, a case presentation, and an oral round. The top eight finalists competed in a final oral round to determine the winner.

“A professor at UVM stands in the front and poses 20 questions,” said junior Keira Underwood. “After every question is asked the eight finalists have about a minute to write down their answer and show it to the judges.”

The Larner College of Medicine at UVM hosts this event. Professors, graduate students and undergraduate students assisted in panel discussions, case presentations, and judging. Students listened to a keynote speech by Michael Dash, Ph. D., on brain plasticity. They also got to work in and explore the Neuroscience facilities at UVM, possibly sparking interest in future college plans.

The Rice Brain Bee team and advisor Sharon Boardman get ready for a day of competition at the Larner College of Medicine in the University of Vermont on February 11, 2023. (Photo/Keira Underwood)

The Neuroscience Club meets weekly after school to prepare students for the Brain Bee. All students use the textbook, Brain Facts, to prepare for the competition. The book covers various topics, from brain structure to psychological disorders.

Every Monday, over the PA system, Rice hears the announcement that Neuroscience Club will meet in five minutes. Many Neuroscience members have already gathered and others join them to get ready to learn. They use a variety of reading, slideshows, and quizzes to prepare themselves for the big competition.

“There’s nothing quite like learning about how we process images and words while reading them off a slide,” said junior Emilie Buttolph.

Over the years, the Neuroscience Club has grown in numbers and enthusiasm. As advisor, science teacher Sharon Boardman, said, “The last few years we’ve fluctuated between four and 25. This year, we didn’t have enough seats for all the kids that showed up [one meeting].”

Neuroscience is a complicated subject, but many Rice students find it fascinating. “I think kids are just mostly interested in the brain because they want to know how their brains work,” said Boardman. Neuroscience Club goes beyond any high school class and members must be very passionate about the brain’s inner workings. These “brainiacs” show their commitment to this intense subject through their dedication to the club and competition.