2022 Rice Year In Review

A group of seniors having fun during the Martian Day!

Hannah Cunningham, Editor-In-Chief

2022 proved an exciting year for Rice! We saw each other’s full faces for the first time in years, experienced a turnover in administration, and gained monetary opportunities through the Student Life Fund. Perseverance, change, uncertainty, and success filled the Rice community.

Let’s take a look at the highlights! And feel free to comment any favorite moments that we missed.

February 7th: Poetry Out Loud

Anouk Von Bernewitz was sent to the state level after competing against and in front of her fellow classmates. She captivated Rice by reciting “Eating Poetry” by Mark Strand

Photo: Steffen Parker

March 5th: Girls’ Basketball Championship

Rice kicked off the year with a girls’ basketball championship. It was well deserved after they had to forfeit last year because of COVID. The girls played Mount Mansfield and won 47-30 with a crowd of over 1,000 watching.

Photo: Megan Shrestha

March 10th: Boys’ Basketball Championship

The boys followed the girls, earning Rice’s second championship of the year. They pulled it out over Rutland in a nail-biting game 45-40.

Photo: Megan Shrestha

March 11 – March 13: Little Women

The Rice music department produced Little Women. They relocated to the Rice cafeteria last minute and completed multiple successful performances despite performing on a makeshift stage.

Photo: Steffen Parker

March 19th: Spring Fling

After Christmas Ball was canceled, the sophomore student council changed plans and hosted the spring fling, the first whole school dance in two years. As always, Mr. Difalco hyped the students up to “Come On Eileen.”

Photo: Steffen Parker

May 14th: Prom

A little rain never hurt anyone!

Photo: Steffen Parker

June 4th: Graduation

The artistic talents of the graduating class were on full display as the Rice community wished its seniors well at graduation.

Photo: Steffen Parker

June 8th: Interim Principal Announced

An exciting email was sent to Rice families announcing Dr. Andrew Keough accepted the interim principal position at Rice. This concluded the search for the three major administrative positions. David Young was hired as the superintendent; Andrew Keough, the principal; and Daniel Routhier, the vice principal.

Photo: Megan Shrestha

June 11th: Boys’ Lacrosse Championship

The boys’ lacrosse team closed off the 2021-2022 school year with another championship. They brought home the gold in a 10-7 game against Hartford.

September 2: Rice Goes To Mars

Rice went to Mars on the fourth day of school. Students engaged in martian-related activities correlated to the summer reading book and closed off the day with a carnival and a junior-dominated tug-of-war championship.

Photos: Megan Shrestha

October 1st: Les Misérables

With chorus as background, several actors performed a compilation of Les Mis songs at St. Mike’s. A strong start for the music department in the new school year.

Photo: Steffen Parker

October 25: Pumpkin Carving Contest

Rice celebrated the spooky season with a pumpkin carving contest. Pumpkins were carved into ships, scary faces, spiders, bats, and much more. Creative materials like feathers, graduation caps, and paint were also used.

Photo: Megan Shrestha

November 5th: Girls’ Soccer Championship

The girls secured another soccer championship against Milton(2-0). Starting the year off strong for Rice athletics!

Photo: Megan Shrestha

November 17th: Thanksgiving Baskets

Rice upped its competition with the yearly Thanksgiving Baskets. Snoopy doghouses, trains, and spaceships stole the show.

Photo: Megan Shrestha

November 23th: Stunt Nite

The Rice community came together once again over Stunt Nite. Short aliens took the stage as well as dancing pizzas, Fortnite characters, and ballerina jocks.

Photo: Steffen Parker

December 6th: Shark Dissection

Students avoided the science wing and its smell for two days as the biology class dissected sharks.

Photo: Megan Shrestha

December 17: Winter Ball

The cafeteria was again filled with hundreds of students as they danced to “Cotton-Eyed Joe” and “Mama Mia.”